The James Stevens No 10, which served as the lifeboat in St Ives from 1899 until 1933, was rescued from a boatyard in Essex a month before it was due to be scrapped and has recently emerged from a complete refit. James Stevens No 10 did saving 220 people in the course of her 59 launches.
Since 1840 St Ives has had a lifeboat manned by local volunteers for the purpose of rescuing those in peril at sea. Originally this service was carried out by use of a locally built boat, but in 1861 the Royal National Lifeboat Institution provided both lifeboat and facilities as indeed it has in many other parts of the British Isles.
Kind Regards from Gotland / Immen