|Photographer:||Marqdoyon [View profile]||Title:||Battleford||Added:||May 29, 2010|
||General cargo ships built before 1940 (Under 3000gt)|
|In 1925 the firm of Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd. built at Wallsend-on-Tyne the bulk canal Steamer GLENROSS. She measured 248.1 x 43.7 x 22.9 and her Gross Tonnage was 2309. GLENROSS was built for one Frank Ross with her intended operator being James Playfair's Great Lakes Transportation Co. Ltd., Midland.
She operated for the Hall fleet for a very brief period in 1925 and over the following winter was lengthened to 343 feet by Playfair at Collingwood, her new tonnage being 3218. In 1926 she was sold by the original builders (Swan, Hunter) to Canada Steamship Lines Ltd. With the added length, her speed was so unsatisfactory that she was laid up in 1928 and did not operate again until 1939 when she was returned to Collingwood, shortened to her original dimensions, and converted to a package freighter, her 'tween decks being fitted at Lauzon. The vessel was renamed BATTLEFORD in 1941.
She remained in service until 1964 and was sold in 1966 for use in the Caribbean area. She was purchased by Bahamas Shipowners Ltd., Nassau, and soon transferred to Bahamas Package Carriers Ltd., being renamed REAL GOLD. In 1971 she was sold to Antilles Lines Ltd.