|Photographer:||Don Bodron [View profile]||Title:||USS Boston CAG1||Added:||Jul 16, 2005|
|U. S. Navy heavy cruiser USS BOSTON built by Bethlehem Steel Company in Quincy, Massachusetts. She was propelled by General Electric steam turbines developing 120,000 shaft horsepower, powered by steam from 8 Babcock & Wilcox boilers. She was capable of 34 knots. She had a full load displacement of 17,200 long tons with a length of 673 feet, beam of 71 feet and draught of 26 feet. She carried a crew of 1,730 men. She was the first U.S. Navy surface ship to be equipped with guided missiles. Ship was converted in 1955-56 to a guided missile cruiser at the Boston Naval Shipyard with a hull number of CG1 (cruiser, guided missile #1). Terrier guided missile launchers clearly show here. Ship is seen being lowered to level of Miraflores Lake southbound in Pedro Miguel Locks of Panama Canal in June 1957.