|Photographer:||Peter Vercruijsse [View profile]||Title:||CITY OF HYDRA||Added:||Dec 08, 2006|
|Captured:||May 18, 1977||IMO:||5075799||Hits:||2,876|
||Cruise Ships built 1950-1960|
Port of Registry: Piraeus
Company: A & G Kyrtatas / Cycladic Cruises
Built: 1955, Wm Denny & Bros Ltd, Dumbarton, Scotland, cn 1482
History: launched 10 March 1955 as a mailboat for David MacBrayne Ltd, Oban, Scotland as the CLAYMORE, registered in Glasgow. She operated out of Oban on services to the Scottish isles. After RoRo ships came into service, she became redundant and was sold in April 1976 to Canopus Shipping SA, Piraeus, Greece as the CITY OF ANDROS. After extensive rebuilding and lengthening as a cruise ship, she was renamed CITY OF HYDRA (as seen here), registered to Andreas & George Kyrtatas and operating for Cycladic Cruises SA. Around 1993 she was laid up in the Eleusis Bay, where she sank at her moorings on 24 November 2000, due to her poor state.
Enlarged part of a scanned colour negative.