|Photographer:||Vladimir Knyaz [View profile]||Title:||CAPTAIN LEONIDAS||Added:||Aug 22, 2007|
||Wrecks & Relics|
|This is the Captain Leonidas a good 35 years after her stranding.
Here is her story from www.warsailors.com:
Delivered in Oct.-1937 from Deschimag Werk Weser, Bremen (916) as Molda to A/S J. Ludwig Mowinckels Rederi, Bergen. 5137 gt, 2981 net, 8425 tdwt, 435.2' x 55.8' x 25.2', 2 x 6 cyl. 2T DM (MAN AG, Augsburg), 3600 bhp.Renamed Molda County in 1959 (not sold). Renamed Molda in 1961 (not sold). Sold in 1963 to K/S A/S Ocean Transport & Co. and D/S A/S Fro (August Kjerland & Co A/S), Bergen, renamed Fana. Renamed Captain Leonidas in 1966, having been sold in Dec.-1965 to Astronuevo Cia. Nav. S/A (Marine Star Shipping Agencies Inc., New York), Panama. Grounded in Canal Messier on Apr. 7-1968 while on a voyage from Santos to Valparaiso with sugar and became a total loss.