|Photographer:||Chris Howell [View profile]||Title:||TE WHAKA||Added:||Jul 27, 2011|
|Location:||Dunedin, Otago Harbour, New Zealand|
||Ships under Repair or Conversion|
circa late 1990's, find date
Built in 1909 by Ferguson Brothers, Port Glasgow for the Lyttelton Harbour Board and steamed out to Lyttelton via the Suez Canal, Colombo, Djakarta, Fremantle and Melbourne.
The 324 ton Te Whaka was also equipped for towing when the 1907 tug Lyttelton was not available. Chartered in 1919 to deepen berths at Nelson. Steam steering gear fitted from whale chaser Star III in 1928.
Fitted with electric light and extra cabins built forward in 1948 for a trip to Wanganui. The original Scotch boiler was replaced in December 1965 with a slightly smaller one from the Greymouth tug Kumea. The original steam driven grab crane was also replaced that year, this time by a Priestman diesel crane.
The vessel was laid up from 1987 until 1993, when she was bought by the Te Whaka Maritime Heritage Trust and towed to Dunedin in March 1994. The intention is to convert the 126 foot vessel to a passenger carrying steamer for excursions on Otago Harbour. Currently laid up incomplete at Dunedin,NZ.