|Photographer:||Gordy [View profile]||Title:||NEW AUSTRALIA||Added:||Feb 17, 2012|
||Cruise Ships and Liners built before 1950|
Other names: MONARCH OF BERMUDA / NEW AUSTRALIA / ARKADIA 1931
22,242 gross tons, length 579ft x beam 76.7ft, three funnels, two masts, four propellers, speed 20 knots, accommodation for
830-1st class passengers. Launched on 17th Mar. 1931 by Vickers-Armstrong Ltd, Newcastle for Furness, Withy & Co and registered at Hamilton, Bermuda. Used on the New York - Bermuda service of the Bermuda & West Indies SS Co but not owned by them. In 1934 she rescued some passengers from the burning ship MORRO CASTLE.
1939 converted to a troopship and operated by the Ministry of War Transport. Among other wartime exploits, she took part in the Norway campaign, shipped Britain's gold reserves to Halifax and was involved in the invasion of North Africa at Oran where she was damaged by shellfire. Later took part in Sicily landings and the build up to the Normandy invasion.
In 1947 during her re-conversion to peacetime operations at Newcastle, she was virtually destroyed by fire and towed to the Firth of Forth.
Rebuilt to 20,256 tons with one funnel and acommodation for 1,600 single class passengers, she was acquired by the Ministry of Transport (managed by Shaw, Savill & Albion Line) as an emigrant ship and renamed NEW AUSTRALIA. Used on the UK - Australia emigrant service, in 1953 she trooped to Korea and in 1958 was sold to the Greek Line and renamed ARKADIA.
Re-fitted to carry 150-1st and 1,150-tourist class passengers, she started Bremen - Quebec - Montreal sailings in May 1958.
In Dec.1966 she arrived at Valencia for scrapping
Photo Credits: The Late Allan Green Collection Vic Australia
Details supplied by Shiplist
Cheers and GB