|Photographer:||Clyde Dickens [View profile]||Title:||EMERALD STAR||Added:||Mar 20, 2012|
|Captured:||March 20, 2012||IMO:||Unavailable||Hits:||1,765|
||Harbour & tour boats / restaurant vessels|
Sydney Harbour, Walsh Bay. 20 March 2012.
See Google Earth 33°51'08.21" S 151°12'26.77" E
Web site data of interesting history:
The Emerald Star is carvel planked timber construction, sheer line stepped at bulwarks for aft open deck. approx 50 tonnes, single deck with raked stem currently powered by Grey Marine ( Detroit ) 671 Diesel, dry stacked c/w Twin Disc hydraulic gearbox with 75mm main shaft and hydraulic steering. Approximate top speed 12 knots of note is the lack of wake whilst underway at cruising speeds.
The Emerald Star’s keel was laid on the Central Coast (Brooklyn) in 1939 as a fishing trawler and it was during this wartime period that the original builders fell upon hard times abandoning the project until Stan Hegarty purchased the partly completed hull and had his foreman, Charlie Shannon and Shipright, Bill Taylor commuting between Sydney and the Central Coast weekly by train to take the hull thru to a stage when it was suitable to be towed to Sydney. The Hegarty ferry, Sunrise Star towed the craft to Hegarty’s Drummoyne home where it was fitted out by AG Williams and launched in 1942. It started harbour ferry service operations from Lavender Bay to Circular Quay #2 Wharf and operated as Hegarty Ferry, servicing Circular Quay to Inner Harbour wharfs. The following outlines the full history of the cruiser:
1942 Powered by 45HP Atlas diesel ran speed trials for the Military, successfully carrying 155 troops at a speed of 7.8 knots. Ran as ferry service during the war years to Military bases in Sydney and after this maintained a regular ferry commuter service to inner Harbour wharfs.
1944 Papers show vessel jointly owned by Beatrice & Leonard Hegarty, then later N.D Hegarty & Sons Pty Ltd.
1955 First Vessel in the Southern Hemisphere to be fitted with an ‘Air Cooled Engine’
1961 Carried spectators for entry of training ship Dewarutji
1965 Emerald Star stolen and smashed into barge, under the Northern Bridge pylon
1975 Included Luna Park / Milson’s Point ferry service
2003 Ceased operations as a ferry
2003 Began Private Charter service under the control of the McLoughlin family
2007 Emerald Star purchased by current owner Les Meyer
2008 Underwent a major re-fit with refurbishment to starboard forward area when temporary repairs made during 1960’s after being hit by another ferry, inner stem replaced, 50 years of paint removed from saloon deckhead exposing excellent aged Australian Cedar.
2008 Operating on Sydney Harbour on day of arrival of Queen Elizabeth II for her final visit & departure of the new Cunard Liner Queen Victoria.
2009 VIP vessel for the Festival of Sydney, Cockatoo Island Spectacular
2009 Emerald Star accepted into the Australian Register of Historic Vessels No: HV 000325
She now shows history while making it. See banner over roof
Data from Sydney Flying Squadron web site:
Date: Tuesday 20 March ... Time: 10.00am
Embark from the wharf at the Sydney Flying Squadron
76 McDougall street, Milsons Point
Cost: $40/$45. Includes Morning Tea at Yaralla. Exclusive Visit
Cruise from Milsons Point to Concord West Return
Aboard the MV Emerald Star will take you to a journey to another time.
The Yaralla Estate occupies a significant amount of land on the southern side of the Parramatta River at Concord West. It begun with a grant developing as a working farm, continued as a Victorian estate, early twentieth century Edwardian estate, to recent use as part of a hospital. Today historically significant as one of the last large nineteenth century estates remaining in metropolitan Sydney. It is of rare State significance because it incorporates an entire 1790s land grant within its boundaries.
Photo Comments (0)
Comments sorting method :
Please Login to add a comment!
This photo has been shown 1,765 times since it was added to the site.