|Photographer:||Gordy [View profile]||Title:||HMS ATHELING D51||Added:||Jun 29, 2012|
|HMS ATHELING D51
Name: USS Glacier
Builder: Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corporation
Laid down: 9 June 1942
Launched: 7 September 1942
Fate: Transferred to Royal Navy
Name: HMS Atheling
Commissioned: 1 August 1943
Decommissioned: 6 December 1946
Struck: 7 February 1947
Fate: Sold as merchant ship, scrapped 1967
Class and type: Bogue class escort carrier
Displacement: 7,800 tons (full load)
Length: 495 ft 7 in (151.05 m)
Beam: 69 ft 6 in (21.18 m)
Draught: 26 ft 3 in (8.00 m)
Propulsion: Steam turbines, 1 shaft, 8,500 shp (6.3 MW)
Speed: 18 knots (33 km/h)
Complement: 890 officers and men
Armament: 2 × 5 in (127 mm) guns
Aircraft carried: 18-24
The second USS Glacier (CVE-33) (originally designated AVG-33 then later ACV-33) was an escort aircraft carrier built by the Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corporation. (later Todd Pacific) of Tacoma, Washington, under Maritime Commission Contract. Glacier was launched 7 September 1942, sponsored by Mrs. Richard P. Luker, and commissioned 12 July 1943, Comdr. Ward C. Gilbert in command. Her designation was changed to CVE-33 on 15 July 1943.
Glacier was one of a large group of escort carriers transferred to the United Kingdom under lend-lease. She was transferred on 31 July 1943 at Vancouver, British Columbia, and served during World War II as HMS Atheling (D51). Atheling put in to Norfolk, Virginia, 6 December 1946 for return to the United States. Her name was stricken from the Naval Register 7 February 1947 and she was sold to National Bulk Carriers, Inc. as the merchant ship Roma 26 November 1947. She was scrapped in Italy in November 1967. From October 1945 to April 1946, her commanding officer was Capt. John Inglis, who was to become director of Naval Intelligence in July 1954.
These ships were all larger and had a greater aircraft capacity than all the preceding American built escort carriers. They were also all laid down as escort carriers and not converted merchant ships. All the ships had a complement of 646 men and an overall length of 492 feet 3 inches (150.0 m), a beam of 69 feet 6 inches (21.2 m) and a draught of 25 ft 6 in (7.8 m). Propulsion was provided a steam turbine, two boilers connected to one shaft giving 9,350 brake horsepower (SHP), which could propel the ship at 16.5 knots (30.6 km/h; 19.0 mph).
Aircraft facilities were a small combined bridge–flight control on the starboard side, two aircraft lifts 43 feet (13.1 m) by 34 feet (10.4 m), one aircraft catapult and nine arrestor wires. Aircraft could be housed in the 260 feet (79.2 m) by 62 feet (18.9 m) hangar below the flight deck. Armament comprised: two 4 inch Dual Purpose guns in single mounts, sixteen 40 mm Bofors anti-aircraft guns in twin mounts and twenty 20 mm Oerlikon anti-aircraft cannons in single mounts. They had a maximum aircraft capacity of twenty-four aircraft which could be a mixture of Grumman Martlet, Vought F4U Corsair or Hawker Sea Hurricane fighter aircraft and Fairey Swordfish or Grumman Avenger anti-submarine aircraft.
Photo Credits: The late Allan Green Collection Vic Australia
Cheers and GB