|Photographer:||William Edward Burton [View profile]||Title:||Wyatt Earp||Added:||Jan 14, 2006|
||General cargo ships built before 1940 (Under 3000gt)|
|The Wyatt Earp in Hobart, Mid 1930's. This ship was built as the Fanefjord in Norway in 1919 for the Herring trade. The American explorer Lincoln Ellsworth purchased her in 1933 for Antarctic expeditions, he used the aircraft that can be seen on deck in this photo for such expeditions. She was later purchased by the Australian government and joined the Royal Australian Navy as HMAS Wongala. After WW11 she reverted to the name of Wyatt Earp and was used as a transport to Australia's scientific stations on Macquarie and Heard Islands. She ended her days as a coastal tramp named Natone and was declared a total loss in January 1959 after running aground north of Brisbane. Lincoln Ellsworth gave her the name Wyatt Earp in memory of the legendary marshal of Dodge City and Tombstone. |
Photo Comments (0)
Comments sorting method :
Please Login to add a comment!
This photo has been shown 1,250 times since it was added to the site.