|Photographer:||Gordy [View profile]||Title:||CALIFORNIA STATE||Added:||Nov 27, 2012|
||General cargo ships built before 1940 (Under 3000gt)|
ex Henry County ex TS Golden State
The first training ship of the California Maritime Academy was the T.S. Golden State. Originally planned to be named the SS Lake Fellowship, after construction, the ship was launched on October 19, 1919. After completion, she was commissioned in November 1920 as the SS Henry County. In the mid-1920s, the SS Henry County was placed out of service in the James River Reserve Fleet.
The Navy purchased the ship in 1930 and transferred it to the then-named California Nautical School. Commissioned as the C.T.S. California State on January 23, 1931, the cadets who lived aboard quickly gave her the nickname "Iron Mother." In December 1941, the ship was renamed the T.S. Golden State. She sailed on 12 major ocean cruises, including one around the world in 1933.
She was also in service when the California Nautical School became the California Maritime Academy.
After being decommissioned on August 12, 1946, she was placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet in Suisun Bay, California.
In 1948, she was sold into private trade, and was operated under various names including Isle of Patmos and Santa Rosa until she was scrapped in Brazil in August 1962.
Photo Credits: Late Allan Green Vic. Australia
Details supplied by Wikipedia
Some extra infor from Mirimar
California State 1920-1962.
Name: HENRY COUNTY
Type: Cargo ship
Date of completion: 11.20
Owner: U.S. Govt.
Builder: American SB Co., Lorain, USA
Yard No: 771
1931 r/n CALIFORNIA STATE. Same owners.
1940 r/n GOLDEN STATE. Same owners.
1948 sold to Panormetis SS Co., r/n ISLE OF PATMOS
1952 sold to Navebras, r/n SANTA ROSA
1962 BU Rio de Janeiro 6.62
Cheers and GB