The last of three "compass point" ships (South, East and West) built for Bank Line, and the first class of ships to be built for the company post-WWII.
Launched: 11/3/1948 and completed: 11/1948.
5,957 gt and 9,325 dwt.
141.5m oa, 132.8m pp, and 18.3m beam
Builder: Wm. Doxford, Pallion, U.K.
Doxford engine - 14 knots service speed.
1948 - "WESTBANK" - Bank Line Ltd., Glasgow, U.K.
24/12/1965 - sold for £175,000 to Katani Shipping Co.S.A., Piraeus, Greece. Renamed "SIMBA".
1969 - renamed "SANTA HELENA"
1970 - ownership to Oceanica Surena Nav. SA, Piraeus.
11/4/1974 - broken up at Santander, Spain.
newspaper - "Evening Star", Dunedin, NZ. 5/1/1966