This ship was built by New Eng. & S.B. Works Ltd, Shanghai for lndo-China S.N. Co. Ltd. London (Jardine, Matheson & Co. mgrs)for Yangtse and China coastal trade as PING WO, a white hulled cargo ship. Later passenger capacity added, buff hull and red funnel, operating Shanghai/Hankou. 1940 at Haiphong as storeship. 12/41 req. by R.N. as water carrier for use at Singapore. Front superstructure corners removed by R.N.to provide improved firing arc for 12 pound gun. 2/42 towed damaged HMAS Vendetta from Batavia to Albany, Western Australia. 19/5/42 paid off. 22/5/42 comm. by Royal Australian Navy for use as stores ship, used in New Guinea. 1/45 under conversion to repair ship. 6/46 redel. to ICSNC in Hong Kong and used as accommodation ship. 9/47 sold to Hoong On S.N. Co., Shanghai r. TEH ON. 1949 under control of People's Republic of China. Mid-1950s in coastal passenger service as MIN CHU 4. Mid-1960s reconverted for river service, given additional superstructure r. JIANG DE. 1967 r. DONG FANG HONG 6. Out of service by 1984. Great to see her still afloat in 2013!
(Ref. "Beancaker to Boxboat", H.W. Dick & S.A. Kentwell, 1988