|Photographer:||Jens Boldt [View profile]||Title:||VIKTORIA||Added:||Aug 09, 2013|
|Captured:||May 08, 2011||IMO:||Unavailable||Hits:||488|
||Inland Passenger Vessels/ Ferries|
|VIKTORIA on the river Elbe, Hamburg, 08.05.2011
Despite her rather modern appearance she has a long history...
- Built in 1901 (!) by Janssen und Schmilinsky at Hamburg as steam ship "Herzog Friedrich"
- until 1938 in service on the Schlei-fjord connecting Schleswig and Kappeln
- in 1938 sold to a Kiel shipowner and renamed "Viktoria"
- from 1940 on she served as a tender for the German battleship "Scharnhorst"
- in 1944 she sank at Kiel harbor and wasn't refloated and repaired until 1949
- 90% of the ship had to be rebuilt and she reentered service as a motor ship
- acquired by the German Navy in 1958, decommissioned 1970
- in 1971 sold to private interest, again renamed "Pirat"...
(Source: Gerd Uwe Dethlefsen "Passagierschiffahrt an Deutschands Küste")
I don't know when she became "Viktoria" again an what happened after 1971, but obviously she's still going strong...:-)
L/B/D (m): 38,98 / 5,10 / 1,70