Launched 5/5/1956. Completed: 7/1956. Builder:AG Weser, Bremen, Germany.
Originally 10,884 grt and 16,894 dwt as built.
Later increased to figures shown in technical data.
An early self-unloading bulk carrier designed by Ove Skaarup of New York. Designed for the gypsum trade from Halifax, N.S. to E.C.U.S.A. ports. Sailed first from Halifax on 10/8/1956 and completed around 1700 voyages until the last on 9/3/1994.
She was then moved to S.E. Asia for further trading.
1956 - "MELVIN H. BAKER" - Seaways Shipping Co., Monrovia, Liberia.
1983 - ownership transferred to Oceanways Navigation Co., Panama
1989 - ownership reverts to Seaways Shipping Co.
1995 - ownership transferred to Ocean Wave Shipping Corp., Monrovia.
1997 - ownership transferred to Bay Fair Shipping Corp., Monrovia.
2007 - registration changed to Panama.
12/2009 - broken up at Xinhui, China.
There were two near sister ships to her: "LEWIS R. SANDERSON" (later "INVERNESS") 10,032 gt/1956 and "WILLIAM M. CURRIE" (later "DARTMOUTH") 11,146 gt/1956.