|Photographer:||John Jones [View profile]||Title:||Portwey||Added:||Aug 07, 2007|
||Steam Ships (Operating and Preserved)|
|94 g.t. built in 1927 by Harland & Wolff at Govan.
Originally owned by the Portland & Weymouth Coaling Company (hence the name) she had, uniquely, twin screws fitted for extra manoeuvrability when handling the coal barges servicing the constant flow of deep sea ships calling at Portland. During World War II the tug was under the control of the US army, rescuing damaged merchant and naval vessels. Following the end of the war, PORTWEY resumed her duties at Dartmouth, but in 1952 she was transferred to the Falmouth Dock & Engineering Co. Ltd. She was active in the rescue of the crew of FLYING ENTERPRISE, and was used to assist with the building of the Lizard Lifeboat Station. In 1965 PORTWEY was towed to Admiralty Pier, Holyhead. In 1967 under threat of the breakers she was bought by Richard Dobson of Stoke Gabriel near Dartmouth By 1982 she was sold to the Maritime Trust and berthed in St Katherine’s Dock. In June 2000, the present limited company, a registered charity, was set up to take over ownership from the Maritime Trust.
Seen in London's West India Dock on 23/3/06.