|Photographer:||Ben [View profile]||Title:||LADY of the LEA & HENRY||Added:||Jun 03, 2006|
||Traditional rig sailing ships under 120'(36.6m)LOA|
Official No. 118381. 44 ton, built of wood at Goldsmiths yard Grays in 1904 by A. White.
76.3 x 18.1 x 5.1, and owned by Cole and Lecquire Ltd.
Rebuilt by Wills & Packham 1944 and bought out of trade in 1948 by Arthur Bennett.
Residential barge of Steve and Jan Downer at Faversham, until sold to Justin Ford in 1996.
Went to Lowestoft harbour for some restoration work, and is continuing at Faversham, Kent.
Lady of the lea
Built of wood at Rotherhithe in 1931 by Hyam & Oliver for the War Department for Carriage of explosives from Waltham Abbey.
The last sailing barge built she followed plans of canal barges of a century ago.
72' long by 13' wide and was originally tiller steered and stumpy rigged.
Sold to W. Aslett 1946.
Owned by B.Pain as private yacht barge, "Rochester Tutors" in topsail.
Based Standard Quay, Faversham.
Seen at Faversham Creek. May 2006
photo copyright karbine @ www.riverthames.co.nr