|Photographer:||Phil English [View profile]||Title:||Panagiotis||Added:||Jan 30, 2005|
||Wrecks & Relics|
|Zakynthos, July 1999
Built as "Saint Bedan" in 1937 in Glasgow by Scotts Bowling, Yard 341, for J. & A. Gardner and Co.
The most commonly accepted story of her stranding is that, in 1980, Panagiotis was en route from Turkey with a freight of contraband cigarettes (for the Italian Mafia, as some versions of the story assert). The crew was suspected by authorities, and so the Panagiotis was pursued by the Greek Navy. Encountering stormy weather, the ship ran aground in a shallow cove to the north of Porto Vromi, where the crew abandoned ship to evade the pursuing Navy. To this day, the wreck remains at the site which is now called "Navagio" for the Greek "shipwreck." However, there is also a less romantic assertion that the wreck was placed there by the local tourist board purely to attract tourism.