|Photographer:||Bob Scott [View profile]||Title:||COLUMBUS C||Added:||Oct 09, 2017|
|Captured:||June 17, 1982||IMO:||5197664||Hits:||503|
|Location:||Gravesend, London, United Kingdom|
||Cruise Ships and Liners built 1950-1960|
|21,514 grt; 4,368 dwt. 802 passengers.
Owner: Independent Continental Lines, Ltd, Panama; Operator: Costa Armatori SpA, Genoa, Italy.
Built: 1953 by Koninklijke Maatschappij "De Schelde", Vlissingen, Netherlands. Yard no 273.
Propulsion: twin-screw with 2 x eight-cylinder, two-stroke Burmeister & Wain 8-74VTF-160 of 18,354 bhp (total) at 115 rpm. Speed: 19 knots.
Built for Swedish America Line as KUNGSHOLM.
1965-sold to Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen, Germany, renamed EUROPA.
1970-to Hapag-Loyd AG following merger of Hapag and Norddeutscher Lloyd.
1981-sold to Independent Continental Lines, Ltd, Panama (Costa Armatori SpA, Genoa, Italy) renamed COLUMBUS C.
1984-severely damaged 29/7 in collision with breakwater at Cadiz, Spain.
1985-towed to breakers at Barcelona, Spain, arrived 2/4.
Photo: Tilbury Landing Stage 17/6/1982