|Photographer:||Bob Scott [View profile]||Title:||OVERSEAS TRAVELER||Added:||Feb 19, 2018|
||Bulkers built before 1950|
|This 15,247 grt/24,847 dwt geared bulk carrier, seen here in July 1968 at Ijmuiden with a load of coal for Amsterdam, originates from the WW2 standard T2 tanker HONNIGSVAAG, built in 1945 as hull no. 333 by Alabama Drydock + Shipbuilding Co, Mobile, Alabama, USA.
From 1947 until 1961 owners were Tønnevolds Tankrederi A/S (Olaf Tønnevold + Sønner A/S), Grimstad, Norway, for whom the ship was named THORUNN.
In 1961 she was sold as SAINT CHRISTOPHER to Olga Konow, Inc., New York.
In 1964 owners became Intercontinental Transportation Co., Inc., New York (Maritime Overseas Corp.) who sent her to the French yard of Soc. des Chantiers Réunis Loire-Normandie Chantiers de Normandie, at Grand Quevilly, for conversion into a bulk carrier by the addition of new fore and mid-body sections.
She emerged from the conversion as GLOBE TRAVELER.
In 1967 she passed into the hands of Ocean Clippers, Inc, another New York associate company of Maritime Overseas Corp, who changed the name to OVERSEAS TRAVELER in 1968.
In 1978 she was sold to Ogden Marine Inc of New York and renamed TRAVELER.
In October 1983 she arrived at Alang, India for demolition.