|Photographer:||Bob Scott [View profile]||Title:||CERINTHUS||Added:||Feb 20, 2018|
|Captured:||August 01, 1976||IMO:||5067493||Hits:||1,430|
|Location:||Greenock, United Kingdom|
|Two old British tankers await demolition by Shipbreaking Industries Ltd at their Faslane scrapyard in Gareloch, Scotland in August, 1976.
On the outside is the 12,174 grt/18,877 dwt CERINTHUS, of Hadley Shipping Co, London. Built 1954 by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast, she was powered by two Harland & Wolff steam turbines.
The other one is EL LOBO (12,078 grt/16,600 dwt), built 1959 by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Wallsend for Burmah Oil Trading Co Ltd, and managed by Bowring SS Co Ltd. She was powered by a six-cylinder Doxford 67LBD6 of 6,250bhp at 115rpm.
Behind the ships is the Royal Navy base, with one of the ‘ROVER’ class RFAs visible behind CERINTHUS. The naval base – HMNB Clyde – has since been expanded to cover the site of the shipbreaking yard