|Photographer:||Bob Scott [View profile]||Title:||JAN BACKX||Added:||Sep 21, 2018|
|Former passenger/cargo ship CILICIA of Anchor line, Glasgow
11,157 grt; 10,287 dwt
Operator: Stichting Vakopleiding Havenbedrijf (Harbour Authority Vocational Training Foundation), Rotterdam
Built 1938 by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Glasgow, Scotland. Yard no: 664
Propulsion (when in Anchor Line service): twin-screw with 2 x four-cylinder, two-stroke, Fairfield-Doxford opposed-piston type diesel engines of 14,000 bhp (combined).
1939-requsitioned by the British Admiralty as an armed merchant cruiser.
1943- retrieving crane installed for catapult seaplane.
1944-converted to troopship for the Ministry of War Transport
1945-returned to owners
1965-transferred to Moor Line Ltd (W. Runciman & Co), Glasgow
1966-JAN BACKX (as photo)
1980-name reverted to CILICIA for tow to Spanish breakers at Bilbao
Photo: Parkhaven, Rotterdam 10/07/1968