|Photographer:||emdee [View profile]||Title:||HUDSON SOUND||Added:||Feb 14, 2020|
|Location:||Tyne, United Kingdom|
||General cargo ships built 1950-1959 (Under 3000gt)|
|John Hudson & Company of London were in the business of coal distribution around the capital in 1842. It was not until 1915 that they became ship owners.
In 1920 a new company, the Hudson Steamship Co. Ltd., was created to continue operations in the North Sea - River Thames coal trade.
After losing most of its ships during WWII the company set in motion a rebuilding programme by ordering five colliers from the Ailsa Shipbuilding Co. at Troon, Scotland.
HUDSON SOUND was the last of the group to be completed, entering service in 1950. Propelled by steam reciprocating machinery she had a 2577grt, with four holds served by five hatches fitted with steel covers.
Influenced by the ever increasing numbers of colliers being built for other owners at the time Hudsons decided to have HUDSON SOUND fitted with derricks and winches with an eye to employing the ship in general tramping as opportunities arose. She actually spent much time voyaging in Baltic and Mediterranean seas.
1967 Sold to the Darien Shipping Co. Inc., Panama, for £48,000. Renamed ROSELLA
1970 Sold to the Gulf Nav. Corp., Panama. Renamed CATHY
1971 Sold to the Old Dominion Maritime Corp., Panama. Renamed VEDALIN
1973 She was delivered to Spanish shipbreakers at Burriana
Pictured arriving in the Tyne 01/05/65. Notable features are her tall cargo handling gear, clusters of winches and the generous amount of woodwork around her bridge structure. The red band and white letter symbol adopted by her owners was applied to a funnel painted dark blue.
Image copyright © emdee 2020