|Photographer:||Magogman [View profile]||Title:||Huron||Added:||Dec 13, 2006|
|The U.S.Coast Guard Huron, WLV-526, Lightship 103, for many decades marked the approach to the Saint Clair River at the mouth of Lake Huron, one of North America's Great Lakes. The last of 22 lightships in service on the Great Lakes, the 1920 built Huron was retired August 25, 1970 after 50 years of service and became a musuem ship on the shore of the Saint Clair River, a short distance from her former station, at Port Huron, Michigan, just a few yards from where the USCG buoy tender Hollyhock docks. The venerable lightship is now owned and maintained by the Port Huron Museum of Arts and History. The vessel is open during the summer months and is fully lighted at night. When open it blows salutes to the Great Lakes and saltwater ships passing by on the river. A great monument, very nicely done.