|Photographer:||Jeff Thoreson [View profile]||Title:||GRETCHEN B||Added:||Jun 19, 2005|
|Tug Gretchen B. shifts a barge at Erie, September 15, 2003.
This is one of the ST-type tugs built for the U.S. Army in 1943. This one was built as ST-0175 by Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, and was owned by the Army until 1946. From 1946 to 1970 it had four owners and carried the name Jane T. It was then renamed Gretchen B. and sold to Luedtke Engineering of Ludington, Michigan.
The tug is 45 feet long and 12 feet wide. There are about a half-dozen or so more ST tugs on the Lakes.