|Photographer:||Magogman [View profile]||Title:||MANITOU||Added:||Aug 18, 2007|
|The tugboat Manitou is docked at the far end of the Nicholson Dock in an inlet off the Detroit River south of Detroit, Michigan on August 11, 2007. This is not the Manitou's normal home -- it has been moved here for a 5 year survey. Owned by Malcolm Marine of St. Clair, Michigan the Manitou was built in 1943 for the U.S. Coast Guard (USGC Manitou, WYT-601) and served the Coast Guard until 1984 when Malcolm Marine purchased it. The venerable tug is two years older than the photographer who readily admits to being an old fart!
Sadly, the founder of Malcolm Marine, Captain Keith Malcolm, passed away on August 18, just 7 days after this photo was taken. Captain Malcolm founded his company in 1960 and built it up from nothing to a thriving family business. It is a true family business of the type that is rapidly disappearing and we wish the family well.