|Photographer:||Marc Piché [View profile]||Title:||ELPIDOFOROS||Added:||Feb 18, 2008|
||General cargo ships built before 1940 (Over 3000gt)|
|ELPIDOFOROS as shown while departing Montréal in June 1970.
Built in 1935 by Bremer Vulkan as BRATTDAL for Norwegian-owned A/S Rendal (Moltzau & Christiensen) of Oslo, she was sunk in Greek waters by German air strikes in April 1941. Salved 11 years later, she received a new superstructure and funnel and became OEREOI in 1952. Pappadakis bought her in 1954 as his NORTH DUCHESS and in 1956, she became German again, this time as B.Blumenfeld's EBBA BLUMENFELD and then Krupp's RHEINHAUSEN in 1957.
In 1960, she was sold to Lemos & Ponticos who renamed her ELPIDOFOROS as depicted here. She lasted some 11 years with them and was finally broken up in China in 1971.
She is shown here under charter to the Cuban Government after unloading a cargo of sugar.
John Low-Marc Piché photo.
Thanks for KGVM for corrected info.