|Photographer:||Phil English [View profile]||Title:||IMPERIAL EAGLE||Added:||Mar 18, 2008|
||Ancient Motor Vessels|
257 grt. Built 6/1938 by J. Crown & Sons, Sunderland, as NEW ROYAL LADY, for Thomas Round of Scarborough.
After WWII Royal Navy duty she was sold in 1946 to John Hall of Kirkaldy, for service on the Firth of Forth. Later the same year she passed to General Steam Navigation Ltd. for service on the Thames and South Coast, being renamed CRESTED EAGLE.
In 1968 she was sold to Maltese owners who renamed her IMPERIAL EAGLE for service between Malta and Gozo. A further sale to Malta saw her transporting mainly livestock but after a few years she was laid up at Gozo. Later she was towed to Valletta, where she eventually partially sank at her moorings.
Her final fate was sealed in 1999 when she was raised, towed out and scuttled off Malta to become an artifical reef for divers.
Replaces photo lost in crash