|Photographer:||Aleksi Lindström [View profile]||Title:||ELENA H||Added:||Jul 18, 2008|
|Location:||Perama, Piraeus, Greece|
||Tankers built before 1970|
|Perama roads, Piraeus on May 29, 2008. IMO 5270416. Ex-COTTON VALLEY 1943, PARAGGI 1947, N.S. DI MONTALLEGRO 1964, ELENA X 1995-2007.
Length: 67.32 m
Breadth: 11.31 m
Depth: 4.45 m
Draught: 3.93 m
Built: 1943 Lancaster Iron Works, Perryville, Maryland, USA (Hull No. 202)
Owner: Elena H. Navigation, Athens
Call sign: SX8238
Engine Builders: Union Diesel Engine Co.
Horse Power: 790 BHP
Speed: 10 kn
Built for Ministry of War Transport, London, ship design is T1-M-A1. During the year 1944, she served in several supply convoys in the Mediterranean. On April 10, she was damaged after hitting a mine in the Black Sea. She was repaired but on October 6, she was mined 10 km off Port-de-Bouc (France). The ship was broken in two, the bow was lost but the stern was towed to Marseille, fitted with a temporary bow in Toulon and the vessel was later used as a water tanker. In 1947, she was sold to Italian buyers. She became Greek in 1995. She was sold for scrap in 2000 but actually went on sailing as a tar carrier. Owned by Elena H Navigation (Greece). In April 2012, at the age of 69, she was eventually sold and towed for demolition in Aliaga, Turkey.